Dear SAAHE Members
It is a singular pleasure for me to announce the newly elected National Executive for SAAHE.
- National Chairperson: Gert van Zyl (Central)
- National Secretary: Hesta Friedrich-Nel (Central)
- National Treasurer: Veena Singaram (KZN)
These elections were managed by a former councillor, Professor Trish McInerney, from Wits in an independent process. This process is the first time the elections were conducted with all regional representatives on council equally eligible to stand for these offices. A formal amendment will be tabled at the AGM during conference later this year. We had approved this process at the previous National Council meeting following the discussions held at the meeting during SAAHE conference in Durban 2013.
The remainder of the National Council, some of whom have been newly confirmed, is made up as follows:
- Central Alwyn Hugo (Free State; additional delegate)
- Eastern Cape Prof R.D. Walker (Rhodes), Prof Ilse Truter (NMMU)
- KwaZuluNatal Fraasia Oosthuizen (UKZN)
- Northern Ruan Kruger (NWU), Lionel Green-Thompson (Wits)
- Western Cape Elize Archer (Stellenbosch), Francois Cilliers (UCT; additional delegate), Michael Rowe (UWC)
Hearty congratulations to the three newly elected National executive members! I have no doubt that your willingness to serve this growing education community will breathe fresh vigour into both SAAHE as an organisation and to the growing community of practice of health science educators.
Many thanks also to those who served on the outgoing executive: Professors Di Manning (Pretoria) and Trish Mc Inerney (Wits) and Mr Chris Stein (University of Johannesburg).
May our SAAHE grow from strength to strength.